Wednesday, November 5, 2008

What Believing in Something Can Do

When you really believe in something, it's amazing what you can do for that cause.

I am definitely not a bug person. The day I lifted my bags full of recyclables out of the wooden crate I keep them in and found roaches running for cover, I did do a pause. But then I just took a deep breath and loaded them up for recycling. Mind you, I did take out each item very carefully, and it probably took me twice as long that day to empty out my sacks, but I just did the deed. Anyone who knows me, knows that I really must care about our earth to do this.

Note here: if you wash out your stuff real well, it will help with bugs. I haven't seen any since that day, because I rinse stuff out well, especially in the summer. I also have my stuff on a back porch. If yours is inside the house/kitchen, I'm sure it won't be a problem at all. Please keep reading.

Another example of dedication for the cause, happened this summer. I, as I'm sure many of you, went to several out door feeds, picnics, and various asundry eating frenzies a la fresco. The standard for these are plastic plates, cups, and utensils, with napkins galore. It pained me every time I saw people throwing away recyclable items. Everyone agreed what a shame it was, but nothing was done. Finally, I decided to take action, and began digging in the trash can at one event, retrieving all the plastic that could be recycled. We are talking up to the waist here. It was a deep can. I did look around while I was down in there, and what I was seeing wasn't so much what I was liking. Again, a deep breath was required.

After retrieving everything I could (luckily I started early on) I stood guard and stopped each person approaching the can with the goods. "Hand them over. Give me your recyclables!" Isn't life fun? Soon a friend came and happily pitched in, pulling another bag and a huge paper sign that read, "recyclables" out of the air. She set up two cans - one for trash, and one for recycling. Everyone was thrilled and gushed at what a great idea it was, participating fully and with gladness.

I guess I have two points.

First, no matter how strongly you feel about something, nothing actually gets done without some action. The action makes it real, not to mention accomplishes something for what you believe is worthwhile.

Secondly, when you believe something to be true, to the very bones of you, things become possible for you to do, as actions, that were not possible before. You are endowed with moral strength. The kind that says, "I don't care if there are cock roaches in my hair," or "I'm waist deep in a smelly trash can with people standing all around me, but it's OK."

And well, I guess there is a third thing-- more often than not, it has been my experience anyway, that you will soon find yourself not alone, but with other people who feel just as strongly, waist deep in that trash can too.

My actions matter, your actions matter. They change stuff. They change you. They change other people. They change the world.

2 comments:

Liz said...

Linda, I love that you are doing this and that you passion for stewardship of this earth doesn't wane, but continually encourages each of us to do more. Continue to teach us and share your ideas, many of us are interested to do more. Maybe it would be good to do a "myths about recycling" post, b/c I think there is a lot of confusion about what you can and can't recycle. For example, some people don't recycle pizza boxes b/c they are used and may have sauce on them. Should they? Thanks for being an advocate! -liz

Becky M. said...

Just wanted to stop by and say hi! and hope that you can get me energized to recycle.. we used to when we lived in troy but now it just seems like without the pale in the garage i forget!