Thursday, November 13, 2008

Seven New (Garbage) Wonders of the World - 2006 article

I just read this article that popped up when I googled about man made structures that can be seen from outer-space. I am feeling so dejected right now.

I encourage all of you to read this article that can be found at

http://www.nyinquirer.com/nyinquirer/2006/11/seven_new_garba.html

I know the name sounds goofy, but it seems like a reputable site. It has links within the article that you should read as well, like the one about the field of floating plastic trash bigger than Texas, or the cartoon character, Yucca Mountain Johnny, that helps explain Yucca Mountain to children in Nevada.

What I don't get is how we never hear about this kind of news. I did see a show once last year about the plastic in the Pacific, but it was a small blurb. Isn't anyone who is in charge of this show disturbed at all by what is going on? Or do they not care because ultimately there is money and business involved.

I know, I know, no easy answers. But can't we at least go spend some of the money that just gets thrown around for any inane reason, and clean up the Texas size floating mass in the Pacific. I don't know. Perhaps that could be a start.

I just want to shout, "WAKE UP PEOPLE." We are all responsible for this mess and we need to start acting like it. We are killing ourselves by these actions. We are killing our planet. We can stop. How? JUST STOP!! Refuse to continue throwing away plastic in the trash. Refuse to continue throwing away steel and aluminum cans in the trash. Refuse to continue throwing away anything that can be recycled or reused by someone. Purchase less packaging. Refuse plastic bags when you shop. Bring your own cloth bags and when they get dirty, wash them. Just stop.

If enough consumers change their consuming habits, companies will notice and change too. We DO have power over this problem. We can change it, and our actions DO matter.

By the way, money is the root of all evil.

Refuse to participate in this evil.

Just stop.

Oh, I almost forgot. The other man made structure that can be seen from outer-space is Fresh Kills Landfill, Staten Island, USA. Used by NYC for 50 years and received 29,000 tons of garbage per day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresh_Kills_Landfill

No comments: