Monday, October 12, 2009

City to Vote on Curbside Recycling

Dear Readers,

We are definitely approaching a most momentous occasion. Tomorrow night at the City Municipal Building our Mayor and City Council members will be meeting at 7:30pm. On the Agenda is listed, "2. Recycling – Discussion and possible action". It is my hope that tomorrow night might just be the moment we have all been working towards for a couple of years now. The Council members might vote on whether or not to mandate curbside recycling for our community! Seriously!

I think that there is a good chance that most of the members will be for this move, however, there may be a couple of the members on the fence. It is imperative that all for this action come to the meeting and be part of any discussion that will surely take place. There are many opposed to this move, and I'm certain that they will also be in attendance.

I will not belabor the points of why this would be a great move for our community. If you are wondering why this is so, I welcome you to read previous posts. Any non-mandated contract with Doty where folks could opt in or opt out would just not be feasible. The cost would depend on those participating and I'm not even sure how that would work. Would our bill flux each month as participation ebbs and flows? It would seem to me to be a logistical nightmare.

I find myself numb at this point and so drained from the past couple of years, that I'm finding it hard to motivate to be pumped here. Ultimately, it is not my job to pump you up. I'm not Hanz or Franz. I will say at this point in time that I think it's just the moment of action. Either the City goes for it and does Curbside right, or we continue to slowly trickle on toward some future goal of sustainability that might come to be in 10 years. This goes for you folks as well. Either you want it or not. If you want something better for your City, for the Earth, for the future, then you are going to have to act. Come to the meeting tomorrow night. Get involved. Be heard. Make a difference. It does matter, and tomorrow night it will matter who is there and what is said.

If we don't get curbside, we can not fault the City. They have been working to resolve this issue for the City and have given us our time and our chance. If it doesn't pass tomorrow night, the only people to blame will be ourselves. If there was a huge outpouring of a response by citizens, they would have no problem voting mandatory, curbside recycling. So far, it's been a fair response but not that much more than the negative voice saying, "NO." Please just show up. Don't let this opportunity pass you by. If it flies it flies, if it dies it dies, but at least you came and gave it your best support.

Thanks for listening and thanks for reading. I hope the next time I post it will be to announce Curbside Recycling in Greenville.

Yours truly,

Linda

No comments: